Thursday, August 11, 2016

review: too faced primed & poreless pressed powder

I really needed a new setting powder. I ran out of blotting sheets, and all I had to combat my (unfortunately) extreme oiliness was some e.l.f. pressed powder. Which, yikes. Aside from not being all that effective, this stuff was super orangey on me and had a strange texture. So I, of course, turned to the internet.


Too Faced's Primed & Poreless powder kept popping up with great reviews from bloggers, so I figured I'd check it out. Take a look at Too Faced's claims about what this powder does:
Primed & Poreless Powder turns any foundation into high definition makeup. Our high-resolution, reflective, powder technology transforms skin by visually minimizing pores, fine line and imperfections for an airbrushed looking finish. Our weightless powder can be worn alone, or under and over foundation to prep skin, lock down makeup and control shine for a complexion smoothing, flawless finish.
Honestly, it better do all that for the price ($30!).



You're supposed to be able to wear this powder under or over foundation or on bare skin for some (very) light coverage. I'd never heard of a powder primer before, so I was definitely curious about how this stuff would work.

I'm gonna complain a bit right now, but this doesn't really have anything to do with the product itself. Just feel free to ignore this whole paragraph. So, the tracking info had my package listed as delivered a few days after I placed my order, which, I mean, awesome! Except the package didn't actually show up at my house until four or five days after that, and when it did arrive, the two sample products I'd picked were missing. Luckily Too Faced customer service was happy to help me out and are theoretically sending me my samples now. I hope.

Okay, whining over.

Primed & Poreless comes in both pressed and loose form, and both are paraben-free and vegan. I went with the pressed version because I wanted something travel-friendly. Plus the pressed powder is 0.35 oz while the loose powder is only 0.16 oz, so you're getting twice as much product for the same price.

I'll start with the packaging. The pressed powder comes in a round plastic compact. I actually love the pale pink and gold, ultra feminine aesthetic Too Faced has going on, but I know some people aren't really a fan of it. The compact has a mirror in the lid, and the powder flips up so you can keep the little round applicator in there.


I did try this as a primer. I thought it was okay - it did a decent job of filling in most of my pores. But I use liquid foundation, which just doesn't work that great on top of powder. It tended to accentuate the dry spots on my face and just didn't look fantastic. You might like this as a primer if you use a powder foundation.

I like Primed & Poreless more as a finishing powder and for blotting during the day. It's really not obvious that you've got powder on your face when you use this stuff. It doesn't add a weird tint to my skin or make me look ashy. It doesn't look cakey, either. It gives a nice finish that's matte, but not flat. If you're looking for any kind of coverage,  though, this isn't the powder for you - it's transparent and just blurs imperfections a bit.


The little round puff that comes with the compact works fine, but the ribbon on the back broke within five uses. I would recommend using the puff and not a powder brush to apply this. The powder goes on much more smoothly that way.

It definitely doesn't keep me matte all day, but literally nothing does. Thanks, oily skin. It does help me manage my oiliness though. And it makes my pores less visible and my skin look smoother.


I'm not totally sure I'll buy this powder again when I run out. If it lasts a while, it'll be worth the $30 I payed, but it just wouldn't be cost effective if I have to repurchase it regularly. I'm living on a student's budget, guys.

When I was buying this powder I also got Too Faced's eye shadow primer, which I like. Check out my review here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top view sourceprint?